This is a typical question that comes up during the beta process. I just realized that chat for Sound Design wasn't really ever set up after it moved to the Stack Exchange 2.0 platform, and I'm here to fix that!

In case you didn't know, we have chat, and it's awesome! Click on the Stack Exchange icon at the top left of your screen while browsing Sound Design and then click the chat link - you'll go to a page full of chat rooms associated with the site.

I've created a generic chat room for you - but the name and description is quite bland and boring. We can do better, so let's use this post to come up with a better name for chat.

For instance, our site for Aviation named their room "The Hangar", our site for pets named their room "The Litterbox". The name can be creative and a little funny, but should remain obvious to someone new that this is the room to come and chat about sound.

Have fun, and may the best name win!


The echo chamber is now available for chat! Enjoy! Don't forget, you can create additional rooms as you like, we only ask that they relate to the topic of the site (sound design, or topics closely surrounding it).

5 Answers 5


'The echo chamber', it's nice (i think) and funny (if there's no other people to chat to).

  • Hehehe, well, it certainly reminded me to get back in that room after my browser crashed yesterday!
    – Tim Post
    Commented Jan 30, 2014 at 8:41
  • 1
    Or perhaps 'Impulse Response' Commented Jan 30, 2014 at 11:13
  • Anechoic Chamber?
    – endolith
    Commented Feb 2, 2014 at 16:54
  • 2
    @endolith: yes, but it would sound pretty much dead ;) Commented Feb 2, 2014 at 17:50
  • very nice. love it.
    – georgi
    Commented Feb 4, 2014 at 12:40
  • thanks for the support! Commented Mar 17, 2014 at 10:55

How about

The Studio

It's simple but suggestive.

  • Nice... or in that same vein... "The Control Room" or "Behind the Glass", etc.
    – JoshP
    Commented Jan 28, 2014 at 16:12
  • or possibly The Recording Studio. The Studio is a little less clear about topic
    – AJ Henderson Mod
    Commented Mar 4, 2014 at 14:30

The Infinite Baffle

Don't know why, just thought it sounded cool. Also thought of "The Headroom" or "The Wavelength" but they seemed a bit smug.


Some ideas:

  • The padded room
  • Recording Booth
  • Control Room
  • Mixing Deck
  • The Soundscape
  • Waveform City
  • Bleeps and Bloops
  • 2
    heh, Padded Room... kinda funny :)
    – JoshP
    Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 20:08
  • 2
    should split these into separate answers so they can be voted for independently
    – endolith
    Commented Feb 2, 2014 at 16:52

I would call it ADR or Voice-Over :)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .